Aug 10, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
Liverpool spent much of the first half on the front foot and the Anfield crowd saw a home debut goal for Dejan Lovren as the Reds are comfortably in front of Borussia Dortmund after 45 minutes.
Daniel Sturridge also scored in the first half, as Liverpool has looked strong at home. They had opened up a 2-0 lead by the 13th minute.
Sturridge’s perfectly-timed run caught a gorgeous midfield flick from Coutinho. He dribbled into the right side of the box before using the outside of his left foot to flummox Australian goalkeep Mitchell Langerak‘s attempt to stop him.
The middle of the 18 parted for Lovren on a corner kick, allowing the former Southampton defender to dart into the middle of the box to head home Steven Gerrard‘s corner kick.
Saints boss Ronald Koeman was in the building to scout his opponents for next week’s Premier League opening weekend, which will of course be available on NBC and live extra.
Adrian Ramos had one of Dortmund’s decent chances in the 38th minute, but the striker lashed the ball over the goal.
Langerak made a fine save of a Gerrard free kick just before half.
Liverpool: Mignolet, Manquillo, Johnson, Skrtel, Lovren, Gerrard, Emre Can, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge
Subs: Jones, Kelly, Toure, Sakho, Coates, Enrique, Lucas, Allen, Suso, Ibe, Lambert.
Goals: Sturridge (10′), Lovren (13′)
Borussia Dortmund: Langerak, Piszczek, Sokratis, Ginter, Schmelzer, Kehl, Kirch, Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang, Jojic, Ramos
Subs: Bonmann, Subotic, Großkreutz, Sarr, Knystock, Bandowski, Bender, Amini, Ji, Hofmann, Immobile
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 9
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 1
- Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle 4
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Roma, Porto win big; Chelsea, PSG slip up 0
- Chelsea 1-1 Schalke 04: Huntelaar secures point for the underdogs 0