Aug 10, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
Liverpool spent much of the first half on the front foot and the Anfield crowd saw a home debut goal for Dejan Lovren as the Reds are comfortably in front of Borussia Dortmund after 45 minutes.
Daniel Sturridge also scored in the first half, as Liverpool has looked strong at home. They had opened up a 2-0 lead by the 13th minute.
Sturridge’s perfectly-timed run caught a gorgeous midfield flick from Coutinho. He dribbled into the right side of the box before using the outside of his left foot to flummox Australian goalkeep Mitchell Langerak‘s attempt to stop him.
The middle of the 18 parted for Lovren on a corner kick, allowing the former Southampton defender to dart into the middle of the box to head home Steven Gerrard‘s corner kick.
Saints boss Ronald Koeman was in the building to scout his opponents for next week’s Premier League opening weekend, which will of course be available on NBC and live extra.
Adrian Ramos had one of Dortmund’s decent chances in the 38th minute, but the striker lashed the ball over the goal.
Langerak made a fine save of a Gerrard free kick just before half.
Liverpool: Mignolet, Manquillo, Johnson, Skrtel, Lovren, Gerrard, Emre Can, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge
Subs: Jones, Kelly, Toure, Sakho, Coates, Enrique, Lucas, Allen, Suso, Ibe, Lambert.
Goals: Sturridge (10′), Lovren (13′)
Borussia Dortmund: Langerak, Piszczek, Sokratis, Ginter, Schmelzer, Kehl, Kirch, Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang, Jojic, Ramos
Subs: Bonmann, Subotic, Großkreutz, Sarr, Knystock, Bandowski, Bender, Amini, Ji, Hofmann, Immobile
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Chelsea’s John Terry joins Rog and Davo 0
- Swiss star Barnetta moves to MLS; Orlando City signs a pair of Europeans 4
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester City 0
- VIDEO: PST Extra – What should we expect from the Premier League’s promoted three? 0
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Liverpool 2