Aug 11, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
With less than a week to go before the 2014-15 Premier League season kicks off, it’s time to reminisce about last season.
Shirt sales are a big deal for PL clubs and the league website have released the details on which players sold the most shirts worldwide thanks to a new tracking system from Sporting iD.
[RELATED: PL season previews]
Only five different clubs are represented in the top 10 shirts sold and despite their struggles last season, four of the top 10 hail for Manchester United.
Who finished top of the tree? It was the same man as the 2012-13 season. Below are more details from our friends at Soccerly, as they list the top 10 shirts sold last season, including numero uno.
According to the English Premier League’s official website, Manchester United’s Robin van Persie had the most popular replica shirt, in terms of sales worldwide, last season.
Sporting iD compiled the numbers and “found that Liverpool’s challenge to the title last season helped the popularity of their players with captain Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez, the league’s top goalscorer, being the second and third-most popular names on the back of shirts respectively.”
However, Van Persie was able to hang on to the top spot for the second straight season. Chelsea and Manchester City were the only other two teams to be represented in the top 10.
2. Steven Gerrard
3. Luis Suarez
4. Eden Hazard
5. Mesut Ozil
6. Wayne Rooney
7. Sergio Kun Aguero
8. Juan Mata
10. Frank Lampard
- MUST SEE: Full highlights of Liverpool’s epic penalty shootout 1
- League Cup Roundup: Liverpool survive 15-round shootout, Arsenal out 2
- Manchester City’s Pellegrini won’t rule out Lampard loan extension 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer power rankings: Double(d) vision edition 5
- US Soccer stands by Solo stance; Media backlash keeps on coming 10
- PST’s Major League Soccer player of the week: No question who was tops 0