Aug 12, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Argentina back Marcos Rojo wants to go to Manchester United, the Red Devils want him and have money to burn. Is there a way this won’t work out for Louis van Gaal?
Sporting wants $50 million for Rojo, 24, who has been capped 28 times by the national team, scoring against Nigeria at the World Cup. He cost Sporting less than $6 million from Spartak Moscow in 2012.
It’s not that simple, of course. Teams are certainly upping their asking prices for Manchester United, as it doesn’t take a soccer wizard to know that LVG needs some quality defenders and a lot more depth.
Rojo can play center or left back and was the named in the advanced stats Castrol Index Top 11 for the World Cup.
Sky Sources: Sporting Lisbon defender Marcos Rojo hands in transfer request and tells club he wants to join Manchester United. #SSNHQ
— Sky Sports News HQ (@SkySportsNewsHQ) August 12, 2014
The money is the question here, as United has to live up to the $55 million they splashed out for Luke Shaw. There’s no question Rojo has a decent claim to being as good or better than Shaw, who has the advantage of having proven himself in the Premier League and being a half-decade younger. So it’s likely going to be $50 million.
And if it has to be that high, I still spend it.
- USMNT move up one spot in latest FIFA World rankings 0
- Klinsmann confirms Brad Guzan will start Confederations Cup playoff in goal 3
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0