Aug 12, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Paris Saint-Germain is constantly playing fantasy football, with money not a worry and everyone in play.
Or so it seems, judging by the report out of Le Parisien that claims a Wayne Rooney for Edinson Cavani deal was in play this summer, and that the Paris outfit is still looking into Rooney and Chelsea’s Andre Schurrle as options now that Angel Di Maria is not an option.
[ MORE: Tuesday's transfer rumor roundup ]
It’s pretty wild, but not without a bit of sense. Rooney is a mercurial and powerful personality at Old Trafford, and the Louis van Gaal ‘rebuild’ could do just fine without having to worry about the $18 million man’s feelings.
According to Laurent Perrin of Le Parisien: “We discussed a trade with Rooney.
“The only problem was that you can never play Rooney on the right as you do with Cavani.
“So either we change the system but Laurent Blanc actually doesn’t want either of them on the right and prefers Lucas.
“I’d be curious to know what Zlatan [Ibrahimovic] thinks after what he did with Lucas against Reims.”
Rooney, of course, seems to be central to Louis Van Gaal’s plans at United and it is not surprising that a move did not eventuate.
Total baloney? Maybe? Probably? Rooney’s dollars would only be acceptable at scant few locations, and PSG is among them. Plus the idea of him in close quarters with Zlatan Ibrahimovic is about the best mental image that’s danced through my mind all day. If Zlatan can get team chefs fired, what could a hybrid Zlatooney accomplish?
As for Schurrle, Jose Mourinho has proven he will sell if the price is right. But it seems crazy to deal away the 23-year-old World Cup champion. If he can score 16 goals in 39 caps for Germany, surely he’ll improve on his 8 in 30 for Chelsea.
- Next step: Las Vegas soccer stadium moves forward, but there’s a catch 0
- Lionel Messi heading to PSG, Chelsea? Not so fast, say Barcelona 0
- $88 million Edinson Cavani linked to Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United 2
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 6