Aug 12, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Arsene Wenger likes to save a buck, and he could serve his defensive mid needs by plucking Cheick Tiote away from Newcastle United. Coming off a decent World Cup with the Ivory Coast and a rebound season with the Magpies, Tiote could leave for the Emirates at a bargain rate — compared to Sami Khedira and other big names linked with London — of about $13.5 million.
A Spanish report says Juan Cuadrado and Manchester United have agreed on terms to bring the Fiorentina winger to Old Trafford, but that the Red Devils and La Viola have not sorted out a price between the clubs. Cuadrado has the pace and responsibility necessary to play wide in Louis van Gaal’s 3-5-2.
Meanwhile, The Daily Mail claims Italian champs Juventus are after Nani and Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez from Manchester United, as well as Ezequiel Lavezzi from PSG and Stevan Jovetic from Manchester City. That’s a lot of firepower.
Roma center back Mehdi Benatia’s name has been winding its way through the rumor mill with increased frequency… and will only cost suitors like Manchester United or Chelsea approximately $83 million. That’s a lot of scratch for the 27-year-old Morocco star.
The Daily Star says Leicester City might break its transfer record to snare Troy Deeney away from Watford, though Queens Park Rangers are also said to be interested in the striker.
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 0
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter is “ready to change.” Do we believe this? 1
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 10
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 14
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3