Aug 13, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
Giggs donned the number for the entirety of his 24-year career with the club and reportedly encouraged Januzaj to take the shirt and continue the legacy. It was originally thought United might retire the shirt after Giggs’ final match but a club source told the Guardian that they “wanted the legend to continue”.
And so it will in the hands of the 19-year old Belgian. A lot can be read into such the decision to hand Januzaj the shirt – it shows just how highly Giggs regards Januzaj but also serves as evidence of the youngster’s dedication to United.
Phil Neville noted his confidence in Januzaj in a tweet that read: “Januzaj given the number 11 shirt – massive act to follow but one I’m convinced he can handle he is going to be a great player!”
Other numbers given out include Luke Shaw snagging the no.3 jersey, Ander Herrera taking no. 21, Anderson selecting no.28, Nick Powell taking no.22 and James Wilson changing from no.47 to no.49.
- Who were the biggest snubs in PFA’s Premier League Team of the Season selections? 2
- PFA Team of the Year announced: 6 Blues lead the way 0
- VIDEO: Premier League Sunday preview – Arsenal vs. Chelsea, Everton vs. Manchester United 0
- MLS roundup: 20 goals in 4 games Saturday night — WATCH THEM ALL! 1
- MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 1-2 D.C. United 0
- MLS Snapshot: Houston Dynamo 4-4 Sporting Kansas City 2