Aug 13, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
After a summer of questions about his fitness, the most expensive teenager in the world is injured.
[EXCLUSIVE: Shaw on United move]
Shaw, who signed from Southampton this summer for a whopping $55 million, didn’t feature in United’s final preseason friendly against Valencia on Tuesday night and manager Louis van Gaal confirmed that he was out injured.
The severity of his injury was previously unknown but losing Shaw for the start of the season will be a blow for the Red Devils.
Operating in an unfamiliar left wing-back role during preseason, Shaw initially was deemed “not fit enough” but new coach van Gaal but impressed in the International Champions Cup final win over Liverpool and was making progress after being forced to train on his own to build up his fitness.
It now seems those extra sessions may have taken its toll on the England international as the first few months of his career at Old Trafford will now be spent watching his teammates in action from the sidelines.
No official word has arrived on Shaw’s fitness from the club but if these rumors are true, Shaw’s fitness levels and van Gaal’s dealing of the situation will once again come into question.
- EXCLUSIVE: US Olympic coach Andi Herzog on Rio 2016, MLS, over-age players and more 0
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 5
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0
- Three things we learned from USA U-23’s defeat vs. England U-21 0
- If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer 36
- How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru? 9