Aug 13, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
The fallout from Bayern Munich’s 0-2 loss to Borussia Dortmund in the German Super Cup continues as reports indicate defender Javi Martinez may have torn his ACL in the match.
The injury appeared to happen in the 29th minute when Martinez went airborn against Bayern defender Marcel Schmelzer and came down awkwardly.
Following the match Martinez confirmed the bad news on a Facebook video noting that a team doctor informed him there’s a 99% chance he’s torn his cruciate and external ligaments.
“I’ve knackered my knee and right now, I’m on the team bus. I’ve spoken to the doctor and he’s told me that there is a 99% per cent chance that I have torn my cruciate and external (sic) ligaments,” the player said on a video published on his Facebook page. “If it is the cruciate ligament that is damaged, they will operate tomorrow and I’ll begin a recovery programme so that I can return even stronger. I’m determined to come back a better player, I’ll be back”.
German soccer journalist Rahael Honigstein has since tweeted out a report, via Sky Sports, confirming the Spanish defender’s fears.
If tests confirm that Martinez has, indeed, suffered an ACL tear that will likely put him out of play until sometime next spring. In his place expect to see Brazil’s Dante slide in alongside Jerome Boateng. The injury will nevertheless be a massive blow to Bayern, who only have Holger Badstuber as a reserve center-back to bring off the bench.
Given the gravity of the situation it would come as no shock if Pep Guardiola returns to the summer transfer market to make a move for another center-back.
- MLS roundup: Last-place beats 1st-place; Toronto FC top Timbers; Revs, D.C. split points 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: One last time, with feeling (and drama… and dread) 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Tension galore as finale arrives 0
- Premier League scenarios: Europa League and relegation requirements 0
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 1
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0