Aug 14, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
On Thursday UEFA announced the shortlist for their “Best Player in Europe” award, as a few names you might have been expecting were left off the list.
The three players were picked as the finalists by a panel of journalists and the winner will be announced in a glitzy ceremony in Monaco on Aug. 28.
Since the award began in 2011, Ronaldo has been among the final three on every occasion but has yet to win the accolade. This year he will be seen as the clear favorite ahead of Bayern Munich duo Robben and Neuer.
Ronaldo, 28, was Real Madrid’s top scorer during the 2013-14 season and he broke the UEFA Champions League record for most goals in a single tournament with 17 as Real lifted the trophy in Lisbon in May. The Portuguese striker scored 51 goals in 47 appearances last season across all competitions.
As for Neuer, he was voted the German player of the year as Bayern were knocked out at the semifinal stage of the Champions League by Real but won the Bundesliga. Neuer is the first goalkeeper to ever make the shortlist for the reward. Dutch international and fellow Bayern star Robben has enjoyed a wonderful summer with the Netherlands as he propelled the Oranje to the semifinal stage at the World Cup with his wing-wizardry.
All three would be worthy winners of the award but we will found out who collects the gong later this month in Monaco.
The past three winners of this event:
Franck Ribery – 2012-13
Andres Iniesta – 2011-12
Lionel Messi – 2010-11
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 2
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 2
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2