Aug 14, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
In the latest set of FIFA World rankings the U.S. national team have slipped three places down to 18th and are no longer the highest ranked team in the CONCACAF region.
That’s because World Cup surprise package Costa Rica are heading in the opposite direction, as Los Ticos have climbed one place to 15th.
To complete the CONCACAF merry-go-round, Mexico have climbed one place to 17th as all three CONCACAF sides who reached the knockout stages of the 2014 World Cup are in FIFA’s top 20 in the latest batch of rankings. However the USA are now the lowest ranked of all three before their next batch of friendlies begin in September, October and November this year.
[RELATED: U.S. to play Ireland in Dublin]
Despite not playing any games in the last month since the World Cup ended, the U.S. have fallen due to the points system FIFA employ to calculate the rankings. World soccer’s governing body take into account the changing values of previous results in the four-year cycle of matches. Hence why CONCACAF teams have chopped and changed without playing a game.
Overall Germany remain in top spot after clinching the World Cup in Brazil this summer and after them a strong South American presence, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay and Brazil are all in the top 10, means CONMEBOL has now overtaken UEFA as the highest ranked federation in world soccer. That is the first time South America has been deemed stronger than Europe since the rankings began.
Below is the full top 20 in full, as teams likes Portugal, Italy, Croatia and England all hang in there despite not making it out of their groups at the World Cup this summer.
FIFA World rankings, top 20
15. Costa Rica
19. Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 8
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 6
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 4
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1