Aug 15, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
So what else is cooking? Let’s take a spin through the newspapers and sites that make this season so fun and infuriating.
Juan Cuadrado will not be playing for Fiorentina this weekend, and the Metro reports that Barcelona has dropped out of consideration for the Colombian’s services. That leaves Manchester United and Chelsea to duke it out, though The Express says the Red Devils may bow out.
[ MORE: Mega 2014/15 Premier League preview ]
The Metro also has news on another United target, claiming Ajax is ready to let Daley Blind skip town. His move to Louis van Gaal’s club seems close to reality, with $25 million as the reported price.
“We haven’t brought in another striker other than Rickie Lambert but we aim to do that,” says Rodgers. “If we don’t, it means the right player hasn’t become available for us, and if that is the case we will continue with the group we have and I will be happy to go into the season with that team.”
The Express says Chelsea’s desire for Mehdi Benatia has moved into the negotiation stage with AS Roma.
Sky Sports says Chelsea and Arsenal will soon learn their fate when it comes to their desire for Sami Khedira.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Frank Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 4
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages 7
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0