Aug 15, 2014, 7:43 AM EDT
If Nicklas Bendtner put together outstanding on-field performances with the frequency he kicked up bizarre newspaper headlines off it, he’d probably still be at Arsenal.
Instead, the Danish striker is making his way to the Bundesliga, signing a three-year contract at Wolfsburg.
Bendtner, 26, made just one Premier League appearance for Arsenal last season after New Year’s Day, and scored just two goals on the year. The controversial forward last made headlines when he took his pants off and applied himself to a taxi cab, and received a six-month ban from the Denmark team.
Once one of the more promising strikers in England, the 58-times capped Dane scored 15 goals as a 20-year-old for the Gunners and added 12 the following year, five in Europe. He’s struggled since, with the exception of eight goals in a loan stint at Sunderland.
The Wolfsburg deal has also taught us some valuable information: the perfect age for a striker.
Managing director Klaus Allofs said Bendtner was “a striker at the best age, who already was able to gather a lot of international experience in his career – which did not always run in a straight line.”
He said Bendtner, who had long been out of favor at Arsenal, will further improve Wolfsburg’s attacking qualities.
Wolfsburg, which won its only Bundesliga title in 2009, finished fifth last season.
Bendtner will give a much-needed boost to a club in need of striking power and depth behind Ivica Olic who, at 34, put in 15 goals for Wolfsburg last season.
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 0
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 8
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 7
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 5