Aug 15, 2014, 7:43 AM EDT
If Nicklas Bendtner put together outstanding on-field performances with the frequency he kicked up bizarre newspaper headlines off it, he’d probably still be at Arsenal.
Instead, the Danish striker is making his way to the Bundesliga, signing a three-year contract at Wolfsburg.
Bendtner, 26, made just one Premier League appearance for Arsenal last season after New Year’s Day, and scored just two goals on the year. The controversial forward last made headlines when he took his pants off and applied himself to a taxi cab, and received a six-month ban from the Denmark team.
Once one of the more promising strikers in England, the 58-times capped Dane scored 15 goals as a 20-year-old for the Gunners and added 12 the following year, five in Europe. He’s struggled since, with the exception of eight goals in a loan stint at Sunderland.
The Wolfsburg deal has also taught us some valuable information: the perfect age for a striker.
Managing director Klaus Allofs said Bendtner was “a striker at the best age, who already was able to gather a lot of international experience in his career – which did not always run in a straight line.”
He said Bendtner, who had long been out of favor at Arsenal, will further improve Wolfsburg’s attacking qualities.
Wolfsburg, which won its only Bundesliga title in 2009, finished fifth last season.
Bendtner will give a much-needed boost to a club in need of striking power and depth behind Ivica Olic who, at 34, put in 15 goals for Wolfsburg last season.
- Big Spenders: Which Premier League clubs must go all-in on transfer deadline day? 0
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- NO DEAL: David de Gea’s transfer to Real Madrid falls through as Man United paperwork arrives too late 3
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 2
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 2