Aug 15, 2014, 12:36 PM EST
Clad in a hot pink shirt and flashing that trademark Luis Suarez smile, Barcelona’s high-profile summer addition to the training field with his new teammates for the first time.
That’s because while his 4-month suspension for biting Giorgio Chiellini at this summer’s World Cup still stands, Suarez was given a reprieve on his ban from training with the club. Friday was his first day on the job.
It’s been hard for Suarez to be away from the game, and he gave an interview to his new club’s web site.
Suárez described this situation as “really tough…it was a situation that made me feel really uncomfortable. I’m paying for a mistake I made and one I have apologised for, but I have to forget about all this”. Following on, the new Barça number 9 said: “I am only thinking about the future, which is at FC Barcelona, the Club who I dreamed of playing for”.
Finally, the Uruguayan striker wanted to thank Barça for the support he has had since the announcement of his signing. “I am very grateful to the Club for all it has done for me over these last few weeks and days. They have been great with me and I appreciate it because I am realizing my dream, to play for Barça”.
Barcelona also release a video on Suarez’s first day “in 100 seconds”.
El primer día de Luis Suárez, en 100 segundos by fcbarcelona
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 2
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 5
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 2
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1