Aug 15, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Could Marco Reus be leaving Borussia Dortmund after all?
Spanish radio station Cadena Cope is saying Atletico Madrid is nearing success in negotiations for the German star, with the reported fee being close to $37 million (and as 101greatgoals.com hilariously states, “less than two Shane Longs”).
Can’t help but wonder whether the sale would be motivated simply by prohibiting Bayern Munich from capturing him next year.
Though Dortmund have denied they’ve had any talks for their striker all summer, insisting he’s not for sale anyway, Cadena Copa claim these negotiaions with Atletico have been ongoing for some time now.
Ineed, Cadena Copa claim that Atletico have a ‘Yes’ from Reus, and now just need to convince the Dortmund chiefs, who are loath to lose yet another player to Bayern Munich, and may sell just to in order to avoid that sorry fate.
There’s been a bit of surprise that Atletico and Simeone would have the ‘cojones’ to make such an audacious bid, but they are La Liga champions after all.
Atleti lost Diego Costa, Filipe Luis and Thibaut Courtois to Chelsea, but gained Mario Mandzukic from Bayern, goalkeeper Jan Oblak from Benfica and French star Antoine Griezmann. With the returning Miranda, Diego Godin, Koke and Arda Turan, Atleti could be set to be just fine… and imagine if they pry Andre Schurrle away from Chelsea!
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter is “ready to change.” Do we believe this? 1
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 9
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 14
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 3