Aug 15, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Could Marco Reus be leaving Borussia Dortmund after all?
Spanish radio station Cadena Cope is saying Atletico Madrid is nearing success in negotiations for the German star, with the reported fee being close to $37 million (and as 101greatgoals.com hilariously states, “less than two Shane Longs”).
Can’t help but wonder whether the sale would be motivated simply by prohibiting Bayern Munich from capturing him next year.
Though Dortmund have denied they’ve had any talks for their striker all summer, insisting he’s not for sale anyway, Cadena Copa claim these negotiaions with Atletico have been ongoing for some time now.
Ineed, Cadena Copa claim that Atletico have a ‘Yes’ from Reus, and now just need to convince the Dortmund chiefs, who are loath to lose yet another player to Bayern Munich, and may sell just to in order to avoid that sorry fate.
There’s been a bit of surprise that Atletico and Simeone would have the ‘cojones’ to make such an audacious bid, but they are La Liga champions after all.
Atleti lost Diego Costa, Filipe Luis and Thibaut Courtois to Chelsea, but gained Mario Mandzukic from Bayern, goalkeeper Jan Oblak from Benfica and French star Antoine Griezmann. With the returning Miranda, Diego Godin, Koke and Arda Turan, Atleti could be set to be just fine… and imagine if they pry Andre Schurrle away from Chelsea!
- La Liga & Serie A roundup: Draws for Real, Atletico; Salah shines for Fiorentina 0
- Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Mourinho’s boys win League Cup trophy 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 3
- Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City: Pair of Reds stunners stupefy City 4
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0