Aug 15, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
At BBVA Compass Stadium, the Houston Dynamo will face the Philadelphia Union, both teams (like the majority of the MLS Eastern Conference) fighting for playoff spots before the regular season close in a couple of months. The Union sit at fifth place in the East, while the Dynamo trail by five points, slotted in ninth place.
Kickoff will wire around 9:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN, and the match will also be available live at NBC Sports Extra.
These two teams last met back in April when they played to a scoreless draw at PPL Park, as both defenses were extremely solid across the back, forcing only two saves on the night between both Zac MacMath and Tally Hall.
WATCH LIVE: Houston Dynamo vs. Philadelphia Union
But as of late, it’s been a tale of two teams.
The Dynamo have faced tremendous struggle on the way to being winless in over two months, and last week, another disappointing loss came at the hands of the Seattle Sounders, an first-class MLS team. With the Montreal Impact, the Dynamo’s minus-19 differential is the largest in MLS.
The Union, on the other hand, have enjoyed a five-game undefeated streak, most recently beating the Impact, 2-1, at their home ground. Interim manager Jim Curtin has only lost one game out of the seven he’s had to coach.
Bottom line: It’s not easy to predict results in MLS because the team that’s lowest in the standings can beat the team that’s the highest in the standings on any given night. Plus, teams are streaky, and every winning or losing stretch eventually comes to an end with a tie.
Therefore, it’s plausible to see this match end in a draw.
Houston — Hall, Sarkodie, Horst, Taylor, Beasley, Garcia, Garrido, Clark, Davis, Barnes, Bruin
Bench — Deric, Brunner, Driver, Ashe, Ownby, Carrasco, Cummings
Philadelphia — Blake, Fabinho, Edu, Valdes, Gaddis, Carroll, Okugo, Cruz, Ribeiro, Nogueira, Le Toux
Bench — MacMath, Williams, Lahoud, Casey, Wenger, Fred, White
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 0
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 1
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0