Aug 16, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
On Sunday the opening weekend of the Premier League season continues as two games are heading your way live on NBCSN.
Last seasons runners up, Liverpool, host a new-look Southampton side, while reigning champions Manchester City travel to Newcastle United to open their title defense.
Both games are available to watch live online or via the app through NBC Sports Live Extra.
To whet your whistle ahead of the two matchups, here’s a quick preview of what you can expect.
Liverpool vs. Southampton – 8:30 a.m. ET, live on NBCSN and online via Live Extra
– Liverpool scored more goals via counter attacks (9) than any other team last season
– Saints kept 15 clean sheets last term, the fourth highest in the PL
Liverpool will begin life without Luis Suarez by hosting the team they looked to for three new players over the summer. The Reds bought Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and Dejan Lovren from Saints and are preparing for life in the UEFA Champions League this campaign after finishing second last season behind Man City in the title race. Brendan Rodgers’ side will rely heavily on Daniel Sturridge for goals this season and are out for revenge as Southampton were one of only two teams to beat them at Anfield in 2013-14.
As for the Saints, new boss Ronald Koeman has signed seven new players in what will be a new-look Saints following an incredible summer exodus. New signing Shane Long should get his debut on Sunday. Liverpool are once again led by inspirational skipper Steven Gerrard, who gave this exclusive emotional interview to NBC Sports ahead of the new campaign.
Newcastle United vs. Manchester City – 11 a.m. ET, live on NBCSN and online via Live Extra
– Man City are unbeaten in their last 16 games in all comps. against Newcastle
– City have won four of their last five opening games in the PL
The Citizens travel to St. James’ Park as they kick off their title defense away at Newcastle. Alan Pardew’s side have strengthened over the summer with the likes of Siem de Jong, Daryl Janmaat, Remy Cabella, Emmanuel Riviere and Jack Colback arriving. Manchester City have signed five new players but Eliaquim Mangala is the only ‘big money’ addition after arriving from FC Porto for $55 million. Vincent Kompany, Sergio Aguero, David Silva and Samir Nasri have all signed new deals and Manuel Pellegrini is confident his side can defend their PL title despite Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea strengthening.
Newcastle’s season petered out last term as they ended up finishing in 10th place and plenty of disgruntled fans have shown their disdain towards the board and their manager since. However, after only losing Matheiu Debuchy this summer, they look in good shape to at least replicate a top 10 finish this season. City haven’t spent big due to their UEFA Financial Fair Play sanctions but they are right up there as one of the favorites to win the title. If they do prevail, it would be their third PL crown in four years. It all starts for the Citizens on Sunday in front of 50,000 fanatical supporters at St. James’ Park.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0