Aug 16, 2014, 8:38 AM EDT
The first goal of the Premier League season has arrived at Old Trafford and Manchester United weren’t the ones celebrating.
Swansea City have opened the goal account for the 2014-15 PL campaign.
The Swans took a shock lead in the 28th minute as Korean midfielder Ki Sung-Yueng was found on the edge of the box by Gylfi Sigurdsson and he calmly slotted the ball home to put the Welsh side 1-0 up. Ki spent last season on loan at Sunderland but on his return to the Swans he netted his first goal for the club as Swansea led at the break.
Manchester United’s fans were stunned as the new era under van Gaal started badly. Swansea were ecstatic.
- After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics 0
- 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament 0
- 2015 Gold Cup preview: United States look to defend title 0
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 9
- GLORY IN PHOTOS: Our favorite shots from the USWNT’s winning evening in Vancouver 2
- CONCACAF lays out reform plan post-scandal: “People are right to be skeptical” 2