Aug 16, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
Three points may overshadow the difficulties Arsenal faced on Saturday, but in light of last season’s opener, a 2-1 victory at home over Crystal Palace is nothing to take for granted. Whereas Aston Villa left the Gunners’ empty handed after one game a year ago, a late goal from Aaron Ramsey made sure Arsène Wenger’s side got off to a perfect start this season.
After the match, Wenger praised the toughness Palace brought to the Emirates, noting how much trouble the Eagles gave his inconsistent squad. Admitting his team played well in spells, the Arsenal boss was measured in his praise, leaving Ramsey the only player to earn unretained approval after the team’s first 90 minutes.
Amid his reaction today’s victory, Wenger provided an update on Kieran Gibbs, whose hamstring injury looks likely to keep him out of Champions League action mid-week.
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders 0
- MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers 0
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy 1
- MLS Snapshot: New York City FC 0-1 Sporting Kansas City 2
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Netherlands, Italy rescue draws; Bale, Wales go top 1
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 4