Aug 16, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
Three points may overshadow the difficulties Arsenal faced on Saturday, but in light of last season’s opener, a 2-1 victory at home over Crystal Palace is nothing to take for granted. Whereas Aston Villa left the Gunners’ empty handed after one game a year ago, a late goal from Aaron Ramsey made sure Arsène Wenger’s side got off to a perfect start this season.
After the match, Wenger praised the toughness Palace brought to the Emirates, noting how much trouble the Eagles gave his inconsistent squad. Admitting his team played well in spells, the Arsenal boss was measured in his praise, leaving Ramsey the only player to earn unretained approval after the team’s first 90 minutes.
Amid his reaction today’s victory, Wenger provided an update on Kieran Gibbs, whose hamstring injury looks likely to keep him out of Champions League action mid-week.
- Official: Miguel Herrera fired by Mexico days after Gold Cup win, alleged attack on journalist 4
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Benzema to Arsenal, Berahino to Tottenham 3
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Chelsea 1
- Russian president Vladimir Putin believes Sepp Blatter deserves Nobel Prize 6
- Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: PSG’s $133 million Ronaldo bid, Stones to Chelsea 2
- Amid reports of journalist brawl, Mexico boss Miguel Herrera looks ahead to USMNT showdown 10