Aug 16, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
Three points may overshadow the difficulties Arsenal faced on Saturday, but in light of last season’s opener, a 2-1 victory at home over Crystal Palace is nothing to take for granted. Whereas Aston Villa left the Gunners’ empty handed after one game a year ago, a late goal from Aaron Ramsey made sure Arsène Wenger’s side got off to a perfect start this season.
After the match, Wenger praised the toughness Palace brought to the Emirates, noting how much trouble the Eagles gave his inconsistent squad. Admitting his team played well in spells, the Arsenal boss was measured in his praise, leaving Ramsey the only player to earn unretained approval after the team’s first 90 minutes.
Amid his reaction today’s victory, Wenger provided an update on Kieran Gibbs, whose hamstring injury looks likely to keep him out of Champions League action mid-week.
- Nine FIFA officials, including CONCACAF president, arrested in Switzerland during dawn raids 1
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, will be extradited to United States 3
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 1
- Premier League Grades: How did each team fare in 2014-15? 7
- Premier League Playback: Looking back at a memorable 2014-15 season 0
- Didier Drogba open to Major League Soccer move after leaving Chelsea 9