Aug 16, 2014, 7:31 AM EDT
Manchester United’s new era under Louis van Gaal kicks off against Swansea City at Old Trafford on Saturday (watch live on NBCSN, 7:45 a.m. ET and online via Live Extra).
The Red Devils and the Swans will kick off the 2014-15 season and both will be hoping to improve on last year, especially United.
Coming off the back of their worst-ever season in the PL, LVG’s men finished seventh last term but they will be hoping to get off to a flying start this time out.
United are without Robin van Persie, Luke Shaw, Michael Carrick, Michael Carrick and several others for Van Gaal’s debut PL game. Youngster Tyler Blackett makes his United debut while Jesse Lingard also start for the home side. Swansea get a boost as Nathan Dyer and Wayne Routledge return from injury.
Manchester United: De Gea; Jones, Smalling, Blackett; Lingard, Fletcher, Herrera, Young; Mata; Rooney, Hernandez. Subs: Amos, James, M Keane, Fellaini, Kagawa, Nani, Januzaj
Swansea City: Fabianski, Rangel, Amat, Williams, Taylor, Ki, Shelvey, Dyer, Sigurdsson, Routledge, Bony. Subs: Tremmel, Bartley, Richards, Tiendalli, Montero, Sheehan, Gomis
- Chile 2-1 Peru: Vargas’ wondergoal puts the hosts through to Copa America final (video) 0
- Men in Blazers podcast special: USWNT’s Klingenberg talks defense, Germany, karate 1
- It’s official: Petr Cech has swapped London clubs, Chelsea to Arsenal 4
- Spanish football league becomes first to take legal action over Qatar World Cup dates 3
- England’s case of World Cup fever just what the doctor ordered for women’s soccer in Britain 3
- Agent confirms Carlos Bacca has reached agreement with AC Milan 0