Aug 16, 2014, 7:31 AM EDT
Manchester United’s new era under Louis van Gaal kicks off against Swansea City at Old Trafford on Saturday (watch live on NBCSN, 7:45 a.m. ET and online via Live Extra).
The Red Devils and the Swans will kick off the 2014-15 season and both will be hoping to improve on last year, especially United.
Coming off the back of their worst-ever season in the PL, LVG’s men finished seventh last term but they will be hoping to get off to a flying start this time out.
United are without Robin van Persie, Luke Shaw, Michael Carrick, Michael Carrick and several others for Van Gaal’s debut PL game. Youngster Tyler Blackett makes his United debut while Jesse Lingard also start for the home side. Swansea get a boost as Nathan Dyer and Wayne Routledge return from injury.
Manchester United: De Gea; Jones, Smalling, Blackett; Lingard, Fletcher, Herrera, Young; Mata; Rooney, Hernandez. Subs: Amos, James, M Keane, Fellaini, Kagawa, Nani, Januzaj
Swansea City: Fabianski, Rangel, Amat, Williams, Taylor, Ki, Shelvey, Dyer, Sigurdsson, Routledge, Bony. Subs: Tremmel, Bartley, Richards, Tiendalli, Montero, Sheehan, Gomis
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 3
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 5
- FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups 3
- Nine FIFA officials, including CONCACAF president, arrested in Switzerland during dawn raids 16
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, will be extradited to United States 5
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 2