Aug 17, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
According to Ruhr Nachrichten‘s Borussia Dortmund beat writer Matthias Dersch, star midfielder Marco Reus turned his back on German giants and bitter rivals Bayern Munich.
With Robert Lewandowski most recently making the switch from one rival to another, Dortmund have been frustrated recently with recent Bayern dealings.
Not only have the Bavarians poached plenty of Dortmund players recently, but the club has expressed annoyance with how Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge discussed the contract of Reus publicly.
Now, however, it would appear that Bayern made an run at Reus a while back and failed.
Dortmund supporters will no doubt love this news, considering how their rivals have dominated both the league and the transfer market in the German league recently.
Reus returned to action following an ankle injury that kept him out of the World Cup, captaining Dortmund in a 4-1 cup win over Stuttgart Kickers in the first round of the DFB-Pokal on Friday. The 25-year-old played 57 minutes.
He has been linked recently with a move to Atletico Madrid, but while Spanish reports suggested the move would happen ASAP, nothing has materialized yet.
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 0
- After failed odyssey abroad, Brek Shea returns to MLS with Orlando City 1
- Lille, Werder Bremen noted frontrunners for Jozy Altidore’s services 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 17 0
- Another set back for Southampton: Jay Rodriguez’s nightmare year continues 0
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Manchester United 0