Aug 17, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Video has been released of a shocking incident that took place in the tunnel following Paris Saint-Germain’s 2-0 Ligue 1 win over SC Bastia.
After the final whistle, as the players walked towards their locker rooms, Bastia striker Brandão waited for Thiago Motta and headbutted him.
The club confirmed today that Motta suffered a broken nose in the incident, which you can watch below.
PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi thinks because Brandão was clearly waiting for Motta to enter the tunnel and then attacked him with reckless intent, the player should be done with soccer.
“He waited for Thiago Motta in the tunnel and attacked him with a headbutt,” Al-Khelaifi said. “He should be banned for life.”
The injury to their midfielder is just one of a long list of serious injuries the Parisians are dealing with. The same release also confirmed star striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic suffered a torn oblique in his left leg. #DareToZlatan was removed after just 15 minutes when he stretched to reach a ball played to him and went down in a heap.
If Ibrahimovic is to miss any significant time, it would likely snuff out any remaining rumors of Edinson Cavani‘s departure.
Finally, Gregory van der Wiel has a fractured vertebrae which he suffered against Bastia. The injury was sustained, oddly enough, in a challenge with Brandão, although this one was actually during the game.
There is no timetable on a return for any of those players at this time.
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 0
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 7
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1
- Strike season? Real Salt Lake owner calls free agency “go nowhere conversation” 7