Aug 17, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Manchester City begin their title defense on the road at St. James Park, live on NBCSN at 11am ET, or live online at NBC Sports Live Extra.
It’s especially surprising to see Jovetic in the starting lineup on opening day, considering he struggled for time mightily last season, receiving just 13 appearances – just two starts – last year. However, the Montenegrin midfielder had a bright preseason, and clearly had an impression on his manager.
Aguero struggled with fitness last season, despite his sparkling goal record when he was on the pitch, and so Pellegrini may be hoping to keep him fit and give him ample rest throughout the year.
For Newcastle, it’s another year, another French striker as new signing Emmanuel Riviere begins the year up front.
The 24-year-old came over from Monaco in the summer and was tipped by manager Alan Pardew to be “a player who can grow.”
Another new Frenchman on the Newcastle roster is Remy Cabella, a 24-year-old attacking midfielder who will be supporting his countryman Riviere up front.
The Magpies have not beaten Manchester City since 2005.
Newcastle – Krul; Janmaat, Williamson, Coloccini, Dummett; Anita, Colback; Sissoko, Cabella, Gouffran; Riviere.
Bench – Elliot, Haidara, S.Taylor, Abeid, Obertan, Aarons, Perez.
Manchester City – Hart; Clichy, Kompany, Demichelis, Kolarov; Fernando, Toure, Nasri, Silva, Jovetic; Dzeko.
Bench – Caballero, Boyata, Zabaleta, Milner, Fernandinho, Navas, Aguero.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 1
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 6
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3