Aug 17, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Manchester City begin their title defense on the road at St. James Park, live on NBCSN at 11am ET, or live online at NBC Sports Live Extra.
It’s especially surprising to see Jovetic in the starting lineup on opening day, considering he struggled for time mightily last season, receiving just 13 appearances – just two starts – last year. However, the Montenegrin midfielder had a bright preseason, and clearly had an impression on his manager.
Aguero struggled with fitness last season, despite his sparkling goal record when he was on the pitch, and so Pellegrini may be hoping to keep him fit and give him ample rest throughout the year.
For Newcastle, it’s another year, another French striker as new signing Emmanuel Riviere begins the year up front.
The 24-year-old came over from Monaco in the summer and was tipped by manager Alan Pardew to be “a player who can grow.”
Another new Frenchman on the Newcastle roster is Remy Cabella, a 24-year-old attacking midfielder who will be supporting his countryman Riviere up front.
The Magpies have not beaten Manchester City since 2005.
Newcastle – Krul; Janmaat, Williamson, Coloccini, Dummett; Anita, Colback; Sissoko, Cabella, Gouffran; Riviere.
Bench – Elliot, Haidara, S.Taylor, Abeid, Obertan, Aarons, Perez.
Manchester City – Hart; Clichy, Kompany, Demichelis, Kolarov; Fernando, Toure, Nasri, Silva, Jovetic; Dzeko.
Bench – Caballero, Boyata, Zabaleta, Milner, Fernandinho, Navas, Aguero.
- USMNT vs Switzerland preview: Last time they met, Michael Bradley scored the winner with a full head of hair 0
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 4 0
- NWSL mega deal sends Sydney Leroux Dwyer to WNY for rights to Abby Wambach 1
- Prolific U.S. U-17 striker chooses club home in NASL 2
- How will the USMNT line up against Switzerland? 3
- British exec says England could look towards 2030 World Cup bid 1