Aug 18, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
After a dramatic first week of Premier League action, eleven players shone above the rest.
In the video above you can see the reasons why they were picked for the Team of the Week.
Hull City’s duo of James Chester and Allan McGregor made it after Chester scored the game-winner vs. QPR and McGregor saved a penalty late on to preserve the victory. Ron Vlaar captained Aston Villa to victory away at Stoke, while Tottenham debutant Eric Dier scored a game-winner in stoppage time on his debut against West Ham.
Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling bagged a goal against Saints and looked sharp throughout, Morgan Schneiderlin hit the crossbar and was stylish in midfield for Saints. Aaron Ramsey bagged a late winner for Arsenal against Palace, while Gylfi Sigurdsson did likewise for Swansea in their historic victory away against Manchester United. Manchester City’s new signing from FC Port, Fernando, put in a sublime defensive display against Newcastle to round off the midfielders selected.
Up top Leonardo Ulloa scored on his Leicester debut as they drew with Everton 2-2, while West Brom’s Saido Berahino scored twice for the Baggies in their draw with Sunderland.
Matchday 1 – Premier League Team of the Week (Formation: 3-5-2)
GK: Allan McGregor
Defenders: Eric Dier, James Chester, Ron Vlaar
Midfielders: Raheem Sterling, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Fernando, Morgan Schneiderlin, Aaron Ramsey
Forwards: Leonardo Ulloa, Saido Berahino
- WATCH: Men in Blazers show debuts on NBCSN 0
- Report: Obafemi Martins close to Seattle extension and raise 0
- DC United extends Ben Olsen’s contract after bounceback season 1
- Premier League Download: Tale of the newly-promoted teams 0
- FIFA Executive: “The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not happen” 7
- Premier League Playback: Legendary Lampard strikes, United’s shambolic implosion 2