Aug 18, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
On Monday a sports tribunal in Brazil has dished out a six month suspension to Corinthians midfielder Petros for shoving a referee from behind.
In the astonishing footage above, watch as Petros runs up to and shoves referee Raphael Claus from behind during his teams 1-0 win over Santos on Aug. 10.
Corinthians are set to appeal the ban but even though it wasn’t known at the time, in video replays of the incident you can clearly see Petros making a run for Claus and hitting him from behind with his outstretched arm. Petros has since claimed that it was unintentional but it said he charged into the referee after being unhappy that the official blocked his teammate during the match.
What makes it even worse is that Petros is a key contributor to the Sao Paulo based club who are currently third in the Brazilian league, five points behind leaders Cruzeiro. Petros is on loan from Penapolense and has scored once in 18 appearances for Corinthians this season.
Take a look at the video above of the incident. Does Petros deserve a six-month ban for that?
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0