Aug 18, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
On Monday a sports tribunal in Brazil has dished out a six month suspension to Corinthians midfielder Petros for shoving a referee from behind.
In the astonishing footage above, watch as Petros runs up to and shoves referee Raphael Claus from behind during his teams 1-0 win over Santos on Aug. 10.
Corinthians are set to appeal the ban but even though it wasn’t known at the time, in video replays of the incident you can clearly see Petros making a run for Claus and hitting him from behind with his outstretched arm. Petros has since claimed that it was unintentional but it said he charged into the referee after being unhappy that the official blocked his teammate during the match.
What makes it even worse is that Petros is a key contributor to the Sao Paulo based club who are currently third in the Brazilian league, five points behind leaders Cruzeiro. Petros is on loan from Penapolense and has scored once in 18 appearances for Corinthians this season.
Take a look at the video above of the incident. Does Petros deserve a six-month ban for that?
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Defiant win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1