Aug 18, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
On Monday a sports tribunal in Brazil has dished out a six month suspension to Corinthians midfielder Petros for shoving a referee from behind.
In the astonishing footage above, watch as Petros runs up to and shoves referee Raphael Claus from behind during his teams 1-0 win over Santos on Aug. 10.
Corinthians are set to appeal the ban but even though it wasn’t known at the time, in video replays of the incident you can clearly see Petros making a run for Claus and hitting him from behind with his outstretched arm. Petros has since claimed that it was unintentional but it said he charged into the referee after being unhappy that the official blocked his teammate during the match.
What makes it even worse is that Petros is a key contributor to the Sao Paulo based club who are currently third in the Brazilian league, five points behind leaders Cruzeiro. Petros is on loan from Penapolense and has scored once in 18 appearances for Corinthians this season.
Take a look at the video above of the incident. Does Petros deserve a six-month ban for that?
- FOLLOW LIVE: Arsenal, Aston Villa square off in FA Cup final 0
- Hyndman stars as U.S. U-20 team downs Myanmar 2-1 to open World Cup play 1
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Best XI of the Season 0
- Blatter’s “Wolf of Wall Street” moment could play out the exact same way 4
- Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein withdraws from second vote; Cocky Blatter speaks in power, references “offshore” future 35
- FA Cup final preview: Aston Villa underdogs in Arsenal’s pursuit of back-to-back cups 1