Aug 18, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
On Monday a sports tribunal in Brazil has dished out a six month suspension to Corinthians midfielder Petros for shoving a referee from behind.
In the astonishing footage above, watch as Petros runs up to and shoves referee Raphael Claus from behind during his teams 1-0 win over Santos on Aug. 10.
Corinthians are set to appeal the ban but even though it wasn’t known at the time, in video replays of the incident you can clearly see Petros making a run for Claus and hitting him from behind with his outstretched arm. Petros has since claimed that it was unintentional but it said he charged into the referee after being unhappy that the official blocked his teammate during the match.
What makes it even worse is that Petros is a key contributor to the Sao Paulo based club who are currently third in the Brazilian league, five points behind leaders Cruzeiro. Petros is on loan from Penapolense and has scored once in 18 appearances for Corinthians this season.
Take a look at the video above of the incident. Does Petros deserve a six-month ban for that?
- Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up 0
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 16
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 1
- Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle 4
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Roma, Porto win big; Chelsea, PSG slip up 0