Aug 18, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT
For both sides today, it can be said new era may begin today, live on NBCSN at 3:00pm ET or live online at NBC Sports Live Extra.
First, Burnley marks its return to the Premier League – against the title favorite, no less – as they take on Chelsea hoping for a long stay in the top flight to prove the doubters wrong.
Their opponents know that.
“’It’s a dangerous start,” Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said to Sky Sports. “Because it’s a game that almost everybody expects you to win and almost nobody realizes how difficult it can be. At the same time, Burnley is a winning team.”
WATCH LIVE: Burnley vs. Chelsea on NBC Sports Live Extra
But on the flip side, Mourinho’s own lineup card features quite a new flavor.
Courtois returns from three years on loan to displace longtime veteran goalkeeper Petr Cech, and it remains to be seen if Mourinho is committed to the young Belgian long term or if Cech will get another chance to earn back his spot.
Meanwhile, new signings Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa look to continue their good preseason form.
Burnley: Heaton; Trippier, Shackell, Duff, Mee; Arfield, Jones, Marney, Taylor; Ings, Jutkiewicz.
Subs: Gilks, Dummigan, Long, Wallace, Kightly, Sordell, Barnes.
Chelsea: Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Fabregas, Matic; Schurrle, Oscar, Hazard; Costa
Subs: Cech, Zouma, Filipe Luis, Mikel, Willian, Torres, Drogba.
- Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: PSG’s $133 million Ronaldo bid, Stones to Chelsea 1
- Amid reports of journalist brawl, Mexico boss Miguel Herrera looks ahead to USMNT showdown 5
- Manchester United lack creativity to challenge top clubs, says Louis van Gaal 6
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Arsenal 9
- Mexico 3-1 Jamaica: El Tri overpowers Cinderella story to win Gold Cup 30
- Frank Lampard ruled out of MLS All-Star game 2