Aug 18, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT
For both sides today, it can be said new era may begin today, live on NBCSN at 3:00pm ET or live online at NBC Sports Live Extra.
First, Burnley marks its return to the Premier League – against the title favorite, no less – as they take on Chelsea hoping for a long stay in the top flight to prove the doubters wrong.
Their opponents know that.
“’It’s a dangerous start,” Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said to Sky Sports. “Because it’s a game that almost everybody expects you to win and almost nobody realizes how difficult it can be. At the same time, Burnley is a winning team.”
WATCH LIVE: Burnley vs. Chelsea on NBC Sports Live Extra
But on the flip side, Mourinho’s own lineup card features quite a new flavor.
Courtois returns from three years on loan to displace longtime veteran goalkeeper Petr Cech, and it remains to be seen if Mourinho is committed to the young Belgian long term or if Cech will get another chance to earn back his spot.
Meanwhile, new signings Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa look to continue their good preseason form.
Burnley: Heaton; Trippier, Shackell, Duff, Mee; Arfield, Jones, Marney, Taylor; Ings, Jutkiewicz.
Subs: Gilks, Dummigan, Long, Wallace, Kightly, Sordell, Barnes.
Chelsea: Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Fabregas, Matic; Schurrle, Oscar, Hazard; Costa
Subs: Cech, Zouma, Filipe Luis, Mikel, Willian, Torres, Drogba.
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 1
- 2011 Women’s World Cup final loss still burns in Abby Wambach’s memory 1
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 1
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3