Aug 18, 2014, 3:47 PM EST
Burnley led Chelsea on their return to the Premier League, but it didn’t last long.
Sean Dyche’s mean started brightly and Scott Arfield’s stunner put them 1-0 up at Turf Moor against a stunned Chelsea. However Jose Mourinho’s men fought back superbly as goals from Diego Costa, Andre Schurrle and Branislav Ivanovic put them 3-1 up at the break.
Burnley took the lead in the 14th minute as a corner from the left wasn’t cleared properly and Matthew Taylor chipped the ball towards the back post where Arfield controlled superbly before volleying an unstoppable effort past Thibaut Courtois to send the home fans wild.
Chelsea didn’t panic after going behind and in the 17th minute there were level thanks to Costa’s first goal in a blue shirt. The Spaniard reacted first as Branislav Ivanovic’s cross from the right evaded everyone and cannoned back off the post. Costa finished clinically to make it 1-1 as Mourinho punched the air in delight. Less then five minutes later Chelsea were ahead as Ivanovic again got the ball on the right and dinked it inside to Fabregas on the edge of the box and the Spanish midfielder caressed an exquisite ball into Schurrle who tapped home to make it 2-1 following a perfectly timed run. Majestic flowing football from the away side. In the 34th minute Chelsea went 3-1 up as Ivanovic tapped home from a corner after some schoolboy defending from the home side.
Click the link above to see if Chelsea can keep piling forward in the second half or if Burnley can regroup and get something from the game.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Defiant win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1