Aug 18, 2014, 3:47 PM EST
Burnley led Chelsea on their return to the Premier League, but it didn’t last long.
Sean Dyche’s mean started brightly and Scott Arfield’s stunner put them 1-0 up at Turf Moor against a stunned Chelsea. However Jose Mourinho’s men fought back superbly as goals from Diego Costa, Andre Schurrle and Branislav Ivanovic put them 3-1 up at the break.
Burnley took the lead in the 14th minute as a corner from the left wasn’t cleared properly and Matthew Taylor chipped the ball towards the back post where Arfield controlled superbly before volleying an unstoppable effort past Thibaut Courtois to send the home fans wild.
Chelsea didn’t panic after going behind and in the 17th minute there were level thanks to Costa’s first goal in a blue shirt. The Spaniard reacted first as Branislav Ivanovic’s cross from the right evaded everyone and cannoned back off the post. Costa finished clinically to make it 1-1 as Mourinho punched the air in delight. Less then five minutes later Chelsea were ahead as Ivanovic again got the ball on the right and dinked it inside to Fabregas on the edge of the box and the Spanish midfielder caressed an exquisite ball into Schurrle who tapped home to make it 2-1 following a perfectly timed run. Majestic flowing football from the away side. In the 34th minute Chelsea went 3-1 up as Ivanovic tapped home from a corner after some schoolboy defending from the home side.
Click the link above to see if Chelsea can keep piling forward in the second half or if Burnley can regroup and get something from the game.
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 4
- Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: Blues with an untouchable performance against old boss 0
- Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video) 0