Aug 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Emerson Hyndman’s play for Fulham’s youth side last season had American fans salivating at the prospect of watching him compete for a spot with the Premier League side this year, but the Cottagers relegation has the 18-year-old in the starting lineup.
Fulham has started the Championship campaign 0-2, but Hyndman has featured and shown well enough in both losses. Now with Wolverhampton on the radar for a Wednesday night match, Hyndman is looking to play a big part in the club’s first three points of the season.
And in the process, he’s hoping to earn the trust of noted disciplinarian Felix Magath.
[ RELATED: Americans Abroad Wrap – US teens go distance for Fulham, Utrecht ]
An old head on young shoulders, Hyndman gave another cultured display in the middle of the park on Saturday. He was joined by fellow Academy graduates Jesse Joronen, Cameron Burgess, Lasse Vigen Christensen and George Williams in Magath’s starting XI.
“The more I play, the more I feel comfortable,” stated Hyndman. “It’s still early days and we’re still getting used to each other as a new group.
“I want the Manager to trust me. I’m young but I try my hardest to be professional and I hope that’s what he sees.
“It’s great to be playing alongside these younger guys in the First Team as I’ve been playing with them for the last two years. When you look at the way we’ve been playing, okay not the results, but it’s only good for the future.”
The Cottagers could really use a win against Wolves on Wednesday, but read the whole article and you’ll be impressed with the maturity of Hyndman’s comments. Perhaps it’s no surprise given his father Schellas’ coaching acumen — granddad coached FC Dallas — but Hyndman is a promising prospect to watch.
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0
- Not even allowed an appeal: CONCACAF confirms Bush suspension for Champions League final 2
- Premier League Playback: Chelsea brilliant, not boring, as title inches closer 0
- MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final 11
- VIDEO: Premier League Player of the Week — Round 34 0