Aug 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Several hundred of you joined up in our free Yahoo Fantasy Premier League group for Week One.
Many were rewarded for their shrewd buys, while a lot of the big-priced names paid off as advertised and others failed. Clean sheets were rewarded in mad fashion, with Hull City players leading the way.
And it’s not too late to join up, as we’ve only played one week of dozens:
Click on this link and enter the following information
Let’s take a look at who starred in Week One and how it affected the overall leaderboard.
First, the top scorers, bargains and busts. A pair of big-money Liverpool midfielders really let down their owners, while two players who entered the week with salaries under 2.5 mil (Erik Lamela and Jack Rodwell) each outscored the collective figures produced by our top five busts.
Top scorers in Week One
1. Allan McGregor, GK, Hull (29 points)
2. James Chester, DEF, Hull (26 pts)
3. Gylfi Sigurdsson, MID, Swansea (25 pts)
4. Saido Berahino, FWD, WBA (24 pts)
5. Raheem Sterling, MID, Liverpool (23 pts)
Top Five Bargains (points, current salary)
1. Rodwell, MID, Sunderland (7 pts, 2.13 mil)
2. Aly Cissokho, DEF, Aston Villa (10 pts, 6.05 mil)
3. Lamela, MID, Tottenham (6 pts, 3.79 mil)
4. Victor Wanyama, MID, Southampton (8 pts, 5.14 mil)
5. Anthony Knockaert, MID, Leicester City (6 pts, 5.67 mil)
Top Five Busts (points, salary)
1. Steven Gerrard, MID, Liverpool (2 pts, 17.34 mil)
2. Adam Lallana, MID, Liverpool (0 pts, 13.84 mil)
3. Romelu Lukaku, FWD, Everton (1 pt, 12.62 mil)
4. Yaya Toure, MID, Man City (0 pts, 12.5 mil)
5. Seamus Coleman, DEF, Everton (1 pt, 12.58 mil)
In terms of busts, we didn’t count players who were injured or not selected (Petr Cech produced zero points, and we warned you of the risk. His high-price will sink and his sale price will hurt your overall budget).
As for our group leaders, cheers to these five… and to two of our three writers performing this week. Kyle, Kyle, Kyle…
Pro Soccer Talk’s Top Five
Bootcamp (PST4) – 127 points
FC Shut Your Face (PST2) – 125 points
Xtina FC (PST3) – 124 points
Dynamo Todd (PST1) – 119 points
Musk of Mustoe (PST4) – 116 points
Joe Prince-Wright (Mini Bradley Cooper) – 93 points
Nicholas Mendola (FC Buffalo Wolves) – 92 points
Kyle Bonn (Magath and Friends) – 43 points
Now, every week we’ll give you a few new names to monitor who are owned by less than 1 percent of Fantasy players. Here’s your first batch to keep an eye on:
1. Leonardo Ulloa, FWD, Leicester City – 7.4 mil, .98% owned
2. Matt Taylor, MID, Burnley – 6.9 mil, .29% owned
3. Nabil Bentaleb, MID, Spurs – 5.64 mil, .38% owned
Ulloa tore it up for Brighton last season and fit in nicely with his new team against Everton. Taylor will get a lot of minutes for newly-promoted Burnley, while Bentaleb is among a trio of Spurs names (Lamela and Younes Kaboul) who started and could produce plenty of bang for their buck on the pitch for you (and okay, okay, new coach Mauricio Pochettino). Coaching changeovers usually provide the best value risks, so keep an eye on most names and Starting XIs at Spurs, Manchester United, Southampton, et cetera.
- WATCH: Incredible 60-yard pass leads Montreal ouster of Pachuca in CONCACAF Champions League 1
- Tuesday’s Premier League roundup: Saints, Villa win; Hull, Sunderland draw 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Toronto FC 0
- Aston Villa 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: Late drama hands Sherwood first win (video) 0
- Southampton 1-0 Crystal Palace: Mane’s late goal gets Saints back on track (video) 0
- Update on MLS labor strike: Players Union, league at impasse as situation looks dire 8