Aug 19, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Turns out you’ll never swim alone, either.
The Mirror has the story of Australian man Kim Thomsen, a Liverpool supporter who claims his Reds-inspired tattoo helped him survive a perilous 19 hours in shark-infested waters.
Thomsen was deep sea fishing with his nephew and a friend near Western Australia back in 2012 when a pair of giant waves destroyed their boat. His 23-year-old nephew, Sean Coffey, was never found after swimming to get help, while 24-year-old friend Bryce Weppner drowned.
But Thomsen was able to survive, thanks in part to help from his preferred club.
Speaking about his ordeal, Kim, who has a Liver Bird and the club’s motto You’ll Never Walk Alone tattooed on his arm, said: “I just had one thing to think about and that was my son.
“We’ve both got the same tattoo and every time I took a stroke I could see that.
“We’ve both got You’ll Never Walk Alone. We’re both Liverpool fans.
“That sort of kept me going – I’m not giving up, you know, I’m just going to do everything I can to at least say goodbye to this guy before I part this world.”
Footage from above when Kim was found shows a hammerhead shark circling in the water beside him.
He was shown putting his hands in the prayer position as emergency services came to his rescue.
Any help someone needs to get through a harrowing ordeal such as being stranded at sea deserves credit, so it’s cynical to dispute Thomsen’s claims. Staying alive in general is a pretty powerful motivator, but you won’t see me downplaying the Liverpool angle. Cheers to Kim and Godspeed to Sean and Bryce.
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3
- Chile vs. Argentina – Three key battles that will decide the Copa America final 0
- Chelsea confirm season-long loan deal for Radamel Falcao 3
- MLS preview: Timbers vs. Earthquakes, Galaxy vs. Toronto FC headline Week 18 0