Aug 19, 2014, 7:46 AM EDT
Netherlands and Chile both advanced well into this summer’s World Cup, and a player from each team could be joining Harry Redknapp’s Queens Park Rangers soon.
Fer, 24, transferred to Norwich City from Twente in July 2013 and has featured 29 times for the now-Championship club (including this weekend).
[ MORE TRANSFER TALK: Is this former Barcelona goalkeeper headed to MLS? ]
Also 24, Vargas has struggled to feature for Napoli since joining the Serie A club in 2012, and was rumored to be reunited with fellow Chile star Alexis Sanchez at Arsenal. Another Chilean, Mauricio Isla, is on loan at QPR from Juventus.
Redknapp told Sky Sports News HQ: “Vargas is a quality player – he is sharp, he is bright. He can play up front, he can play as a No 10. I liked him in the World Cup and he’s someone we’ve been following for a while. So we’re hoping it’s a possibility that we can bring him in.
“We’ve had reports on him for quite a while. One of our scouts who lives abroad has been following him for years now. It’s not done yet, but hopefully it is going to be done.”
And on the imminent capture of the combative Fer, he added: “He will be an excellent signing – a Dutch international who played in the World Cup. He is an outstanding midfield player and will bring a lot of qualities to the club.
“He’s got a great physique, gets box to box – I think he’ll be a good signing for us. We were a bit light (in midfield). You need cover everywhere.”
Redknapp also told Sky that he’s looking to bring Niko Kranjcar to Loftus Road for another spell. The manager is hoping to establish QPR as a long-time Premier League side after leading the team in a relegation campaign in 2012/13 before helping the club to instant promotion last season.
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 2
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0
- Three things we learned from USA U-23’s defeat vs. England U-21 0
- If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer 33
- How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru? 8
- VIDEO: PST Extra analyzes how Deadline Day played out across the Premier League 0