Aug 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Londoners know a bit about new Besiktas striker Demba Ba, what with the Senegalese national teamer having plied his trade for both Chelsea and West Ham United.
But Ba nearly put another London club, Arsenal, in an embarrassing spot when he blasted this long-range effort off the crossbar in Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League playoff tie.
Ba, 29, swung his leg through the ball an instant after it was put into play, and Gunners keeper Wojciech Szczesny scrambled back toward his line. Fortunately for him, the ball beat him but not the pipe.
And it impressed:
— Amobi Okugo (@amobisays) August 19, 2014
From another angle:
WOW: Demba Ba almost scores direct from kick-off vs Arsenal. http://t.co/8HBkVDRWKw
— BBC Sporf (@BBCSporf) August 19, 2014
Anyone who’s taken a kickoff has had the thought to try this cross their minds, and many have tried it. But a UCL playoff against Arsenal? Attaboy, Demba.
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 0
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 6
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 2