Aug 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
Londoners know a bit about new Besiktas striker Demba Ba, what with the Senegalese national teamer having plied his trade for both Chelsea and West Ham United.
But Ba nearly put another London club, Arsenal, in an embarrassing spot when he blasted this long-range effort off the crossbar in Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League playoff tie.
Ba, 29, swung his leg through the ball an instant after it was put into play, and Gunners keeper Wojciech Szczesny scrambled back toward his line. Fortunately for him, the ball beat him but not the pipe.
And it impressed:
— Amobi Okugo (@amobisays) August 19, 2014
From another angle:
WOW: Demba Ba almost scores direct from kick-off vs Arsenal. http://t.co/8HBkVDRWKw
— BBC Sporf (@BBCSporf) August 19, 2014
Anyone who’s taken a kickoff has had the thought to try this cross their minds, and many have tried it. But a UCL playoff against Arsenal? Attaboy, Demba.
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 4
- Video: Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool needs to “become a team” 1
- Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: Bolasie carves up Liverpool defense 3
- Report: Marco Reus is out for rest of 2014 with torn ankle ligament 3