Aug 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Londoners know a bit about new Besiktas striker Demba Ba, what with the Senegalese national teamer having plied his trade for both Chelsea and West Ham United.
But Ba nearly put another London club, Arsenal, in an embarrassing spot when he blasted this long-range effort off the crossbar in Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League playoff tie.
Ba, 29, swung his leg through the ball an instant after it was put into play, and Gunners keeper Wojciech Szczesny scrambled back toward his line. Fortunately for him, the ball beat him but not the pipe.
And it impressed:
— Amobi Okugo (@amobisays) August 19, 2014
From another angle:
WOW: Demba Ba almost scores direct from kick-off vs Arsenal. http://t.co/8HBkVDRWKw
— BBC Sporf (@BBCSporf) August 19, 2014
Anyone who’s taken a kickoff has had the thought to try this cross their minds, and many have tried it. But a UCL playoff against Arsenal? Attaboy, Demba.
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 3
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4