Aug 20, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
When a back injury forced Cristiano Ronaldo to be substituted off the pitch in yesterday’s Spanish Super Cup first leg with Atletico Madrid, questions were raised as to how Real Madrid would cope without their talisman.
Fortunately, Real is a three-quarter of a billion dollar deep squad. And so, James Rodriguez came on in his place and scored the goal that put Los Blancos up 1-0 but a late equalizer from Raul Garcia means it’s all to play for in Friday’s second leg.
Whether Ronaldo will be fit to compete in that clash remains to be seen as Real Madrid are staying tight-lipped on the issue.
“Cristiano felt something and was uncomfortable,” manager Carlo Ancelotti told reporters on Wednesday. “We’ll evaluate it. He’ll undergo all the checks and we’ll see. It doesn’t seem to be anything too serious.”
Madrid, who beat Sevilla last week to claim the European Super Cup, will play the first match of the La Liga season on Monday against Cordoba, just three days after the second leg with Atletico.
- Watch Live: Hull City vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Championship Sunday 0
- Geoff Cameron inks new three-year contract at Stoke City 1
- MLS roundup: Last-place beats 1st-place; Toronto FC top Timbers; Revs, D.C. split points 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: One last time, with feeling (and drama… and dread) 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Tension galore as finale arrives 0