Aug 20, 2014, 5:40 PM EST
When a back injury forced Cristiano Ronaldo to be substituted off the pitch in yesterday’s Spanish Super Cup first leg with Atletico Madrid, questions were raised as to how Real Madrid would cope without their talisman.
Fortunately, Real is a three-quarter of a billion dollar deep squad. And so, James Rodriguez came on in his place and scored the goal that put Los Blancos up 1-0 but a late equalizer from Raul Garcia means it’s all to play for in Friday’s second leg.
Whether Ronaldo will be fit to compete in that clash remains to be seen as Real Madrid are staying tight-lipped on the issue.
“Cristiano felt something and was uncomfortable,” manager Carlo Ancelotti told reporters on Wednesday. “We’ll evaluate it. He’ll undergo all the checks and we’ll see. It doesn’t seem to be anything too serious.”
Madrid, who beat Sevilla last week to claim the European Super Cup, will play the first match of the La Liga season on Monday against Cordoba, just three days after the second leg with Atletico.
- Watch Live: Aston Villa vs. West Bromwich Albion (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Update on MLS labor strike: Players Union, league still at impasse as talks go down to the wire 1
- 2015 MLS Season Preview: Top 10 Newcomers 0
- Tuesday Premier League Preview: New managers square off in Midlands derby 0
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0