Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
The Times journalist Tony Barrett is reporting that Liverpool and AC Milan are in talks over a deal that would send Mario Balotelli to Anfield.
Earlier this morning numerous media outlets were reporting that Liverpool had made a $29 million bid to Milan for Balotelli.
Those reports were quickly rubbished by the Serie A side with vice-president Adriano Galliani telling media:
“At this time we have not received any offer from Liverpool for Balotelli. Therefore, there is no negotiation. We will see as the transfer market ends on 1 September.”
Now, however, Barrett is claiming over Twitter that “[t]he situation with Liverpool & Balotelli has moved on in the last 12 hours,” although talks are still at an early stage. Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano of Sky Sport has added fuel to the flame by reporting that despite Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers’ desire to secure a loan with an option to buy, Milan are seeking a permanent cash deal for Balotelli.
The striker last played in the Premier League for Manchester City before being sold to Milan in January 2013 for $28 million. During the Italian’s three seasons in England he scored 30 goals in 80 appearances before moving on to the Rossoneri and scoring 30 goals in 56 matches.
The 24-year-old is under contract until June 2017 and has widely been linked a move away from San Siro this summer. Below are the relevant tweets from Barrett and Romano:
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0