Aug 20, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Leroy Fer has landed at Loftus Road.
On Wednesday the Dutch international midfielder, who played for Holland at the 2014 World Cup, left Chamionship side Norwich City and joined Harry Redknapp’s newly promoted Premier League side on a three-year deal.
Fer, 24, spent last season in the PL with Norwich but following the Canaries’ relegation to the second-tier in 2013-14 he has been hoping to return to the top-flight.
The combative midfielder has been handed that opportunity by Redknapp and the experienced English coach had the following to say about his new capture.
“Leroy’s arrival is a massive boost for us, “Redknapp said. “He’s another excellent signing and I’m delighted we’ve been able to get him to QPR. He played for Holland in the World Cup this summer and has all the attributes you’d be looking for from a central midfielder. He’s just an outstanding midfield player – great physique, fine ability, he gets box-to-box. I’m really looking forward to integrating him into the squad.”
Fer will slot into Rangers’ three-man central midfield alongside the likes of Joey Barton, Jordan Mutch and Alejandro Faurlin. In their opening game back in the PL last Saturday, QPR lost at home 1-0 to Hull City in a game they dominated from start to finish but just couldn’t find the finishing touch as striker Charlie Austin missed a late penalty kick. Fer scored four goals in 30 appearances for Norwich last season and will become a driving force from a deep-lying role in midfield. He loves to get on the ball, break play up and get attacks started.
In an unusual way to speak with QPR’s fans for the first time, a Vine of Fer was posted on the clubs official Twitter account. Watch below as Fer introduces himself.
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1