Aug 20, 2014, 2:20 PM EST
Real Madrid’s superstars got plenty of headlines as the side stormed to UEFA Champions League success.
However this little fella was influential. Take a bow, Luka Modric.
The tiny Croatian midfielder helped turn things around for Real in their UCL final victory against Atletico Madrid and all season long he kept things ticking over in midfield for the Spanish giants. His stellar performances have not gone unnoticed as the 28-year-old has been rewarded with a new four-year deal at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Since joining from Tottenham in 2012 for $55 million, Modric initially took time to settle in the Spanish capital. Now we are seeing the industrious genius at his very best as he buzzes in and out of tackles and is always looking to get on the ball. Add in his wicked deliveries from set pieces and he has become one of Real’s most important players.
Modric has made 106 appearances in the past two seasons in Spain, scoring six goals and is now the captain of Croatia. Carlo Ancelotti is expected to line him up alongside Toni Kroos and Xabi Alonso in a three-man midfield this season as Real aim to defend their UCL crown plus go for the La Liga title.
One of the unsung heroes of their squad will go about his work as quietly and diligently as ever. Modric will be around for at least another four years at the Santiago Bernabeu.
- Premier League Playback: When will Arsenal, Liverpool snap out of their funk? 1
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 5-1 3
- Watch Live: Stoke City vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 10-6 0
- NBC Sports to air first-ever “Premier League Breakaway” show on New Year’s Day 0
- DeAndre Yedlin granted work permit, heading to Tottenham Hotspur 6