Aug 22, 2014, 8:16 AM EDT
Liverpool and AC Milan failed to complete their move of Mario Balotelli to Anfield in time for the Italian striker to feature against his former team, Manchester City, on Monday.
According to The Liverpool Echo, the Merseyside club was still trying to sort out Balotelli’s commitment and discipline, but now the striker and his agent have agreed to behavioral clauses in his contract.
The transfer fee has reportedly been agreed at $26 million, but the hold up has pushed the clubs past the Noon Friday deadline for Balotelli to be included in the squad for Monday’s match.
After further discussions with his agent Mino Raiola this morning the Reds received the reassurances they wanted about the striker’s willingness to agree to behavioural clauses in his contract.
As a result arrangements have now been made for Balotelli to travel to the North West. He will meet Brendan Rodgers face to face and begin his medical.
Personal terms are already in place with Balotelli having agreed a deal worth around £110,000 per week.
And when you’re reportedly about to spend almost $200,000 a week in wages, perhaps even a big match day won’t make you rush to sign a man who has done plenty of ‘controversial’ things, like:
– Pointing a gun at his “haters”… on Instagram.
– Smoking a cigarette, in a bathroom, on a pre-match trip to Fiorentina.
– Making “intimidating and insulting” remarks to a referee that earned a three-match ban.
– Throwing down his mic after a contentious post-match press conference.
– Getting in a ‘dust-up’ with his manager on the training ground.
So, yeah, the behavioral clause was a good idea.
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 1
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: Orlando City SC 5-2 Columbus Crew SC (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 6-4 Real Salt Lake (video) 0