Aug 22, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal may step away from interest in Angel Di Maria due to a desire not to stunt the growth of Adnan Januzaj, according to the Express. Then again, pro-Real Madrid outlet Marca says United is set for a big Di Maria bid (Spanish link). But he is said to be very interested in 21-year-old Brazilian midfielder Lucas Silva. The Cruzeiro player is also sought by Inter Milan, according to the Daily Mail.
Van Gaal is also said to be studying Benfica’s Nico Gaitan and Inter Milan’s Fredy Guarin in the hopes of adding more midfield depth before the window closes. Meanwhile, it’s claimed that $53 million and Chicharito is United’s final offer to pry Arturo Vidal from Juventus. It could be enough.
The Daily Star pegs London as the next spot for Danny Welbeck, who has been subject to interest from Hull City. The Manchester United outcast has apparently attracted Arsenal and Tottenham as well. Spurs continue to be linked with QPR’s Loic Remy as well.
Hull has turned its attention to prolific Blackburn striker Jordan Rhodes, 24, according to The Daily Mail.
According to the Manchester Evening News, Manchester City’s 21-year-old back Matija Nastasic could be on the move to Italy, rumored to be a target for giants Juventus and AS Roma. This especially makes sense if the latter loses Mehdi Benatia to the Premier League.
Catalan outlet SPORT says Barcelona came to Real Madrid with a strong but rejected offer for Angel Di Maria (Spanish link), and that seems wild. Barca, however, need to do a bunch of business by the end of the window as their transfer ban appeal was rejected.
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 0
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 5
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 2
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 1
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2
- VIDEO: Watch Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale dominate NBA’s half court challenge 0