Aug 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EST
Eccentric Italian striker Mario Balotelli is expected to complete his transfer to Liverpool in the coming hours, as the talented yet temperamental forward will sign from AC Milan for $26 million and seal his return to the Premier League.
So much has happened in Balotelli’s career, we felt it was necessary for a timeline of events to try and break it all down. Above is a cool video, thanks to Football Daily for that, which showcases the top 10 most bizarre moments he’s been involved in. There are countless others which didn’t make the cut.
[RELATED: Balotelli arrives in Liverpool]
Below is a timeline of Balotelli’s life from his birth until now, as the Italian international forward has been on quite the journey during the first 24 years of his life. After his signing is complete, Liverpool’s fans will be hoping there is plenty more success to add to this in the coming years for Super Mario.
Enjoy sifting through the life and time of Mario, so far.
Early life and Inter Milan
- Born in Palermo, Italy on 12 August 1990, to Thomas and Rose Barwuah
- Spent two years in hospital with intestinal problems as a baby
- Placed into foster care with elderly Italian couple in Brescia, Italy, Silvia and Francesco Balotelli’s
- Plays for lower league side Lumezzane from age 9-16
- Aged 11, claimed he’d be Italy’s first black player on national team
- Joins Inter Milan at age of 16 in 2007
- Makes first team debut for Inter at the age of 17, came on as sub vs. Caligari 16 December 2007
- Became an Italian citizen at the age of 18
- Photographed with two notable Italian mobsters, enraging Inter boss Roberto Mancini
- Suspended from Inter’s first team in 2009 by Jose Mourinho after several disciplinary problems
- Subjected to racists chants in Italy by fans of opposition teams throughout 2009-10
- In August 2010, joins Manchester City for $30 million on his 20th birthday, teaming up with Mancini again
- On that same day, 10 Aug. 2010, he made his debut for the Italian national team vs. Ivory Coast
- Drove into a women’s prison in Italy with his brother, ‘to take a look around’
- Set his house on fire after lighting fireworks in his bathroom and shooting them out the window
- Was found guilty of throwing darts at City’s academy players because he was ‘bored’
- Won the FA Cup with Man City in 2011, their first trophy in 35 years
- The famous “Why Always Me?” celebration occurred in City’s 6-1 win over Man United on Oct. 23, 2011
- On May 13, 2012, set up Aguero to score City’s game-winning goal in the final seconds of the season, winning them the title
- Scored twice vs. Germany in Italy’s 2-1 Euro 2012 semifinal, ran to the crowd and hugged his adopted mother
- Has a training ground bust up with manager Roberto Mancini, plus other players, which led to his departure from City
- Transferred to AC Milan in January 2013 for $30 million
- Scored 12 goals in first 13 games for AC Milan in his first season back in Serie A
- Subject of further racist abuse while back playing in Italy, and even from fans of the Italian national team
- Scores winner in World Cup opener for Italy vs. England, his first World Cup appearance
- Takes on-pitch ‘selfie’ during a preseason friendly vs. Man City for AC Milan in Pittsburgh, PA.
- On August 22, 2014, arrives in Liverpool to tie up $26 million transfer. Back in England after a near two-year absence
- Top Five storylines for Week 13 of the Premier League 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 13 0
- Premier League Preview: Manchester United vs. Hull City 0
- Sure there’s “interest throughout Europe”, but where is the best spot for Jozy Altidore? 1
- Pick just three?!? FIFPro World XI midfielder shortlist is Juve-heavy, really good 0
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0