Aug 22, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Brek Shea’s last loan stint didn’t go very well — see: Burnley fan fracas — but the Stoke City man has apparently impressed his bosses enough that they don’t want him to get away on a permanent basis.
The American midfielder, still just 24, has a number of suitors for a loan deal, according to MLSSoccer.com.
Shea landed at Stoke City after a falling out of favor, at least relative to his transfer worth, at FC Dallas and has yet to make an impact for the Premier League side. He’s appeared in just three PL matches.
There are a lot of connections with Juan Agudelo when it comes to his potential loan destinations. Shea is sought by Agudelo’s last loan spot, FC Utrecht, as well as 1860 Munich. The latter is reportedly coming after both American players.
Shea is being courted by German club FC Nürnberg, as well as a number of English Championship sides including Birmingham City and Millwall.
The source also indicated that Shea had been subject to a loan offer with an option to buy from an unnamed MLS team, but the request was rejected by Stoke City.
So clearly Stoke doesn’t want to rescind ownership of the young winger and is hoping his preseason maturity is a sign of things to come. Germany has been a destination stop for anyone looking to impress USMNT boss Jurgen Klinsmann, and England’s second tier has been anything but a guarantee of the manager’s attention.
Our ‘Blink’ guess is that Shea winds up in Germany for a half-season’s loan as Stoke considers its options.
- FOLLOW LIVE – Bayern Munich, Manchester City clash in Champions League 0
- Men In Blazers podcast: A happy PL return, while Spencer Lanning talks ‘football’ 0
- Captain Clint fires Seattle Sounders to US Open Cup crown in 3-1 extra time win over Philadelphia 10
- Report: FA to overhaul work permit rules to cut down on non-EU players 9
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 9