Aug 22, 2014, 9:51 PM EDT
The second week of the Premier League season begins with familiar names at the top of the table: Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal, and Liverpool. Three of those teams face serious challenges this weekend, with the defending champions’ visit from Brendan Rodgers’ Reds concluding a weekend that also features the Gunners’ trip to Goodison.
That match, which Everton took 3-0 last season, is the main event tomorrow – a six-match Saturday that starts 7:00 a.m. ET at Villa Park and ends with NBC’s coverage from Merseyside. For a primer, check out the weekend preview, above.
- Sepp Blatter refuses to quit as FIFA president despite plea from UEFA’s Michel Platini 1
- Russia, Vladimir Putin criticize US government for “illegal persecution” of FIFA 11
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 5
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 5
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 11
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 6