Aug 23, 2014, 8:32 AM EDT
It’s been a horrible time for Ukraine and its powerful club, Shakhtar Donetsk. Now, the club is reeling after two ‘powerful explosions’ rocked their home stadium.
According to Shakhtar’s press release, there are no casualties amongst the stadium staff. The club was due to face Obolon-Brovar in the Ukrainian Cup’s Round of 32 later today.
Several players had refused to play for Shakhtar, and one even transferred away from the club.
— FC SHAKHTAR ENGLISH (@shakhtar_eng) August 23, 2014
On 23 August, at 6:00, two powerful explosions occurred at Donbass Arena. As a result of shelling, there are numerous damages of the northwestern facade of the stadium, communications, equipment and detached building of the energy centre, which is located in the northern part of the Donbass Arena park.
There are no casualties among the stadium staff.
More to come…
- Premier League Power Rankings: Will Chelsea ever lose, Burnley ever win? 0
- Premier League Preview: Newcastle United vs. Liverpool 0
- Steven Gerrard will play somewhere next season, Liverpool deal or not 1
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 8