Aug 23, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew was caught on camera doing a bit of a ‘happy jig’ and pointing to someone on the pitch to smile during the Magpies match at Aston Villa on Saturday morning.
After the match, which ended 0-0, Pardew was asked what the heck he was doing, and he explained that he thinks star midfielder Remy Cabella plays better when he’s smiling.
“I just felt he was trying too hard.
“He had a lot of publicity last week. I felt he was tense. He had a couple of great situations where he didn’t deliver, and that’s not like him.
“I was just trying to get him to smile.”
Aw, shucks, Alan.
The Magpies were the better team at Villa Park, and Cabella was a big reason. Once the midfielder is sitting behind second striker Siem de Jong for 90 minutes instead of 20, things could really pick up for Newcastle… provided Cabella is happy.
- Premier League scenarios: Europa League and relegation requirements 0
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 0
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0
- Geoff Cameron takes us behind-the-scenes at Stoke City 1
- Brendan Rodgers insists Raheem Sterling will remain at Liverpool 0
- US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes 1