Aug 23, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew was caught on camera doing a bit of a ‘happy jig’ and pointing to someone on the pitch to smile during the Magpies match at Aston Villa on Saturday morning.
After the match, which ended 0-0, Pardew was asked what the heck he was doing, and he explained that he thinks star midfielder Remy Cabella plays better when he’s smiling.
“I just felt he was trying too hard.
“He had a lot of publicity last week. I felt he was tense. He had a couple of great situations where he didn’t deliver, and that’s not like him.
“I was just trying to get him to smile.”
Aw, shucks, Alan.
The Magpies were the better team at Villa Park, and Cabella was a big reason. Once the midfielder is sitting behind second striker Siem de Jong for 90 minutes instead of 20, things could really pick up for Newcastle… provided Cabella is happy.
- Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: PSG’s $133 million Ronaldo bid, Stones to Chelsea 1
- Amid reports of journalist brawl, Mexico boss Miguel Herrera looks ahead to USMNT showdown 6
- Manchester United lack creativity to challenge top clubs, says Louis van Gaal 6
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Arsenal 9
- Mexico 3-1 Jamaica: El Tri overpowers Cinderella story to win Gold Cup 30
- Frank Lampard ruled out of MLS All-Star game 2