Aug 23, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
Roberto Martinez and Everton welcome Arsenal to Goodison Park on Saturday (Watch live on NBC, 12:30 p.m. ET and online via Live Extra) as the Toffees aim to put down an early marker as a top four contender.
These two squads battled it out for fourth place last season as Arsenal won the race down the stretch.
On their last trip to Goodison, Arsene Wenger’s side were smacked 3-0 and following a tiring midweek trip to Istanbul to play Besiktas in a UEFA Champions League play-off, the Gunners must be on their game from the start.
Everton were disappointed with an opening day draw away at Leicester City, while Arsenal grabbed a late win at home vs. Crystal Palace. Both sides will look to entertain and put on a show at a fired up Goodison Park.
In team news Everton bring in Seamus Coleman for John Stones, plus Kevin Mirallas comes in for Aiden McGeady. while Arsenal start German internationals Per Mertesacker and Mesut Ozil after their extended rest on World Cup duty.
Everton: Howard, Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Barry, McCarthy, Mirallas, Naismith, Pienaar, Lukaku. Subs: Robles, McGeady, Besic, Atsu, Osman, Stones, Alcaraz.
Arsenal: Szczesny, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Chambers, Monreal, Flamini, Ox, Wilshere, Ramsey, Ozil, Alexis. Subs: Martinez, Bellerin, Koscielny, Rosicky, Giroud, Cazorla, Campbell
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 3
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 5
- FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups 3
- Nine FIFA officials, including CONCACAF president, arrested in Switzerland during dawn raids 16
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, will be extradited to United States 6
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 3