Aug 24, 2014, 9:07 AM EDT
Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed reports that Argentinian winger is on the verge of a move away from the Bernebau.
Without naming where, Ancelotti said Di Maria has made the appropriate gestures concurrent with a departure to another club.
“Di Maria arrived at our training facilities but didn’t practice,” Ancelotti said in the club’s prematch press conference ahead of their league opener. “The conclusion of the negotiation is very close. He came here to say goodbye and we thanked him for what he has done and we wished his good luck for his future.”
Di Maria is heavily linked with a huge-money move to Manchester United, and would provide Louis van Gaal with the iconic player he will have been searching for in the transfer market.
According to Ancelotti, there is nothing left to do but cross t’s and dot i’s, and it wasn’t without a fight that the player left for pastures new.
“It’s done, it’s not official yet but it’s done. I have an excellent relationship with him, he made this decision, the club did everything to keep him.”
Reports say he could be unveiled at Manchester United early this coming week.
Many things could fall into place after the move, with Falcao rumored to be the man on his way in, but reports from France still insist Monaco don’t want to sell.
Reports from Spain say Cristiano Ronaldo begged president Florentino Perez not to sell, but the player and president don’t get along after the head man has decided for World Cup stars as his men instead.
Di Maria led La Liga in assists last year and helped Real Madrid to a Champions League championship last season.
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 4
- It’s all-but-official as Juventus says thanks to Pirlo, wishes him best with New York City 0
- GLORY IN PHOTOS: Our favorite shots from the USWNT’s winning evening in Vancouver 0
- CONCACAF lays out reform plan post-scandal: “People are right to be skeptical” 1
- Carli Lloyd proves she’s the Women’s World Cup hero she always knew she would be 1
- Mission accomplished: Abby Wambach gets her World Cup title 1