Aug 24, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
Major League Soccer anticipated the arrival of Jermaine Jones on the American club soccer scene, and it appears that he will be headed to the New England Revolution, where U.S. soccer greats Taylor Twellman and Clint Dempsey made their mark.
The Revolution signed Jones through the league after a “blind draw” with the Chicago Fire, who had also been heavily connected to the German-American midfielder. Supposedly, Jones will make roughly $4.5 million in salary for the rest of this season and 2015. He will be given an option to stick around for 2016.
Jones, 32, tallied 129 caps and seven goals for Bundesliga club Shalke from 2007-2014, prior to his transfer to Besiktas in January.
“I’m very excited to come to MLS and join the Revolution,” Jones said, per a team press release. “New England is an exciting team on the rise, and I believe I can come in and help the team make a push toward MLS Cup. Playing with the U.S. National Team has given me a great connection with the American fans and I’m looking forward to playing in front of them every weekend. I’m ready to get started with the Revs.”
Jonathan Kraft also weighed in on the situation.
“This is a great opportunity for us to add one of the best players in the United States to our club,” said Revolution investor/operator Jonathan Kraft. “We thought Jermaine was the best player for the U.S. in the World Cup and we are excited to welcome him to New England. Robert and I have always said that any major DP signing would need to make an impact, on and off the field, and we believe the addition of Jermaine will do just that.”
- Manchester United 3-1 Leicester City: Red Devils up to third 0
- Liverpool 2-0 West Ham United: Coutinho shines, Sturridge scores in return 1
- Watch Live: Chelsea vs. Manchester City (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. West Ham United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Leicester City (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday? 1