USMNT standout Jermaine Jones joins New England Revolution

Aug 24, 2014, 6:55 PM EST

Azerbaijan v United States Getty Images

Major League Soccer anticipated the arrival of Jermaine Jones on the American club soccer scene, and it appears that he will be headed to the New England Revolution, where U.S. soccer greats Taylor Twellman and Clint Dempsey made their mark.

The Revolution signed Jones through the league after a “blind draw” with the Chicago Fire, who had also been heavily connected to the German-American midfielder. Supposedly, Jones will make roughly $4.5 million in salary for the rest of this season and 2015. He will be given an option to stick around for 2016.

Jones, 32, tallied 129 caps and seven goals for Bundesliga club Shalke from 2007-2014, prior to his transfer to Besiktas in January.

“I’m very excited to come to MLS and join the Revolution,” Jones said, per a team press release. “New England is an exciting team on the rise, and I believe I can come in and help the team make a push toward MLS Cup. Playing with the U.S. National Team has given me a great connection with the American fans and I’m looking forward to playing in front of them every weekend. I’m ready to get started with the Revs.”

Jonathan Kraft also weighed in on the situation.

“This is a great opportunity for us to add one of the best players in the United States to our club,” said Revolution investor/operator Jonathan Kraft. “We thought Jermaine was the best player for the U.S. in the World Cup and we are excited to welcome him to New England. Robert and I have always said that any major DP signing would need to make an impact, on and off the field, and we believe the addition of Jermaine will do just that.”

1. mdac1012 - Aug 24, 2014 at 7:54 PM

When I heard Alexi Lalas state they determined where Jermaine Jones would go by picking out of a hat, I thought, “thank God,” because rock, paper, scissors would have been a foolish way to determine where a $4.5 million DP went. If MLS ever wants to truly be a top 5 or top 8 league, the first thing they need to do is get rid of this awful allocation process. The salary cap alone should take care of the parity that MLS wants in the league. But eventually that’s going to have to be done away with or at least severely tweaked if they ever want to be taken seriously.

2. the0verheadwire - Aug 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM

It wasn’t even the allocation process. The hat draw is the result of MLS being the owner of all player contracts. No other league has this system, which means a player gets to choose where they want to go everywhere else but MLS. I’m sure a new player agreement coming up soon is going to deal with this in some way.

3. mikeevergreen - Aug 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Why can’t they just allow USMNT’s coming to MLS to sign with whoever they want?

4. jdfsquared - Aug 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Great. And now he gets to play in cavernous, 1/4-full Gillette on turf with gridiron lines. What a great showcase for welcoming in the USMNT’s best WC player.

5. mikeevergreen - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:39 AM

He was supposed to go to Chicago fire. What happened?

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday