Aug 24, 2014, 8:18 AM EDT
The perils of the Europa League could rear its ugly head for the first time.
Just three days after a 1-0 loss to Belgian side KSC Lokeren, Hull City must navigate their Premier League home opener against Stoke City at KC Stadium at 8:30am ET live online at NBC Sports Live Extra.
Steve Bruce is stretching his squad thin with striker Yannick Sagbo suspended and Robert Snodgrass picking up a long-term knee injury which will likely keep him out for six months, an injury which Bruce called “a tragedy.”
Instead, Nikica Jelavic will start Tom Ince at the front in Sagbo’s absence, but Snodgrass’s pace and cunning on the wing will be missed.
WATCH LIVE: Hull City vs. Stoke City live online
For Stoke City, the season got off to a disappointing start with a loss to Aston Villa. Manager Mark Hughes has new signing Victor Moses at his disposal, but he has not chosen to give the player his debut, with the former Chelsea man not in the squad.
Hughes has turned to summer signing Mame Biram Diouf at the striker position, sitting Peter Crouch on the bench and flooding the midfield with the likes of Steve Sidwell, Steven Nzonzi, and Glenn Whelan.
USMNT defender Geoff Cameron is on the bench still after Hughes gave him extra leave following the World Cup, and Peter Odemwingie starts after the same afforded time off.
Hull City: McGregor; Chester, Davies, McShane, Elmohamady; Robertson, Huddlestone, Livermore, Quinn, Ince, Jelavic.
Bench – Harper, Rosenior, Figueroa, Bruce, Meyler, Boyd, Aluko.
Stoke City: Begovic; Bardsley, Shawcross, Wilson, Pieters; Odemwingie, Nzonzi, Whelan, Sidwell, Arnautovic; Diouf.
Bench – Sorensen; Muniesa, Adam, Walters, Crouch, Cameron, Bojan.
- West Ham announce Sam Allardyce will not return as manager 0
- Newcastle United 2-0 West Ham United: Sissoko, Jonas leave nothing to chance 0
- VIDEO: Theo Walcott’s first-half hat trick will live in Boaz Myhill’s dreams 0
- Watch Live: Hull City vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Championship Sunday 0
- Geoff Cameron inks new three-year contract at Stoke City 2