Aug 24, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
Manchester United is hoping for better fortunes in the Louis van Gaal era following last week’s shocking defeat to Swansea.
They will hit the road to the Stadium of Light as van Gaal looks to dig in with his long-term plan, live at 11am ET on NBCSN or live online at NBC Sports Live Extra.
Despite the loss last week, van Gaal has kept 20-year-old defender Tyler Blackett in the starting lineup, and brings in striker Robin van Persie who is now up to full match fitness.
Van Gaal confirmed that he was forced to make changes with both Nani and Ander Herrera injured, so Tom Cleverley and Antonio Valencia come into the lineup.
WATCH LIVE: Sunderland vs. Manchester United live online
Danny Welbeck is back in the squad after missing their opener with an injury, but he is on the bench behind van Persie. Midfielder Marouane Fellaini is unable to make the squad with an ankle problem.
For Sunderland, they will try to catch United off guard as well, and manager Gus Poyet has new signing Jack Rodwell at his disposal in the midfield as well as recent addition Billy Jones who is on the bench, although he will be without other addition Santiago Vergini through injury.
American striker Jozy Altidore is on the bench, behind Conor Wickham and Steven Fletcher who earn the start.
Sunderland: Mannone; Vergini, van Aanholt, Brown, O’Shea; Cattermole, Larsson, Rodwell, Buckley; Wickham, Fletcher.
Bench – Pantilimon, Jones, Bridcutt, Gomez, Altidore, Mavrias, Roberge.
Manchester United: De Gea; Jones, Smalling, Blackett; Valencia, Cleverley, Fletcher, Mata, Young; Rooney, Robin van Persie.
Bench – Amos, M. Keane, James, Kagawa, Hernandez, Welbeck, Januzaj.
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 2
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 5
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 2
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1