Aug 24, 2014, 7:43 AM EST
Harry Redknapp, back in the Premier League, returns to his former home as Queens Park Rangers looks to get their first points of the season.
The 67-year-old managed Spurs from 2008-2012 and is likely to receive a hostile welcome home when the two clash at 8:30am ET live on CNBC or live online at NBC Sports Live Extra.
Fer slots right into the midfield at his new club, while the loanee Vargas is not yet able to crack the squad.
Loic Remy starts in the striker position for Redknapp, with plenty of attacking ability on the bench available should they need it later in the match, including Bobby Zamora, Junior Hoilett, and Shaun Wright-Phillips.
On the other side, Spurs will look to win their second straight match to start the season after a nervy 1-0 win over West Ham on opening day.
Revived last season by interim manager Tim Sherwood, Emmanuel Adebayor has retained the trust of new boss Mauricio Pochettino and gets the start up front over Roberto Soldado, despite the latter having scored in the Europa League midweek.
Elsewhere for Pochettino, young Naleb Bentaleb gets the start in the defensive midfield next to Etienne Capoue, with last season’s regulars Sandro and Paulinho not even in the squad.
Kyle Naughton is suspended after his red card for a handball last week, so either Eric Dier, Jan Vertonghen or Younis Kaboul will start out of position at right-back.
Tottenham: Lloris; Dier, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose; Bentaleb, Capoue; Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela; Adebayor.
Bench: Friedel, Davies, Dembele, Holtby, Lennon, Kane, Soldado.
QPR: Green; Caulker, Ferdinand, Dunne; Traore, Mutch, Isla, Barton, Fer; Phillips, Remy
Bench: Murphy, Simpson, Wright-Phillips, Onuoha, Faurlin, Zamora, Hoilett.
- Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Mourinho’s boys win League Cup trophy 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 3
- Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City: Pair of Reds stunners stupefy City 4
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4