Aug 25, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
After tapping a linesman on the head during Atletico Madrid’s Super Cup win over arch nemesis Real Madrid on Friday, Atletico’s manager Diego Simeone has been banned for eight games by the Spanish football federation.
Simeone, 44, was suspended four games for touching the linesman on the back of the head, two games for protesting, one game for applauding his sending off and one game for remaining in the stands instead of leaving the stadium following his dismissal.
[RELATED: Atletico win Super Cup]
The Argentine boss was given the red card for his actions during the second leg of Friday’s Super Cup, which Atletico won 1-0 to win the title 2-1 on aggregate, and his assistant German Burgos will now take charge of the Spanish champions in Simeone’s absence.
This is certainly not the first (and probably not the last) time Simeone has been involved in incidents on the touchline during his managerial career.
The former Inter Milan, Lazio and Argentine international captain is often left incensed on the sidelines during matches and isn’t afraid of letting his feelings be known to the match officials and the opposing coaching staff. During the Champions League final last May, also against Real, Simeone ran onto the pitch after Madrid defender Raphael Varane kicked the ball in his direction. On many other occasions, situations with Simeone at the center of the action have also threatened to boil over.
Simeone’s hot-headed persona has cost him dear this time, as he will miss the opening months of the La Liga season and his team will have to begin their title defense without their manager.
- Premier League player of the week – Round 8 0
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 0
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 3
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0