Aug 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Giroud, who turns 28 next month, scored the equalizer in Arsenal’s come-from-behind draw against Everton this weekend before suffering the injury.
But now he’ll be missing, at a minimum, for the next few games. That includes Wednesday’s visit from Besiktas in the business end of their UEFA Champions League playoff tie (The clubs finished scoreless last week in Turkey).
[ RELATED: Premier League playback, Matchday 2 ]
[ RELATED: PST’s Top Ten transfer targets to monitor ]
The Gunners will also be without Mikel Arteta and Aaron Ramsey, but those losses for a match would pale in comparison to the shot to the bow of striker depth that would be a prolonged absence from Giroud, who scored 22 goals across all competitions last season.
Arsenal are hoping Giroud has not sustained a fracture, but there is major concern at the Emirates that there is a break, after the Frenchman was sent for two scans.
The club are mindful of the fact that a hairline fracture to Jack Wilshere’s foot only showed up on a second scan after the initial swelling had gone down.
Giroud is definitely out of the Champions League play-off second leg against Besiktas tomorrow night and the Premier League trip to Leicester on Sunday, and there is a real concern that he could be out for a prolonged spell.
The article is phrased in a way to bring clicks, but shouldn’t the injury be — at the very least — a wake-up call to Wenger? Whether or not Giroud is injured, this shows him how his squad would look with a long-term injury to a player like the 6-foot-4 Frenchman.
Whether a big-name acquisition like Radamel Falcao, a simple depth signing or just keeping Lukas Podolski around, Arsenal needs power up front to challenge Manchester City and Chelsea this season.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 4
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3